Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

(rotten) apple picking



When we were searching for a house one of the items on my 'would-be-nice-if' list was mature fruit trees. This was not a deal breaker, but if there were fruit trees my eyes would light up just that much more. So when we first looked at our house way back in February I was happy to look through the window and see rotting fruit hanging off of two big trees in the backyard. There were no leaves and it was cold and getting dark so at first we guessed they were peach trees, but we soon discovered they were apple trees - one red, and one green.


Since six months passed before we finally owned these trees those rotten apples we first laid eyes on from last season were never picked off, and the new harvest was taken over by worms and birds. This left us with a lot of rotten apples on our hands. But, we were determined to find some good ones among the bunch this year - and we did find a few to taste! Mostly, though, we just have a lot of clean up to do.


I look forward to more successful harvests in the future, but for now I am just happy to call these trees my own.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about fruit trees. There is something so wonderful about being able to eat something off of your "land" as silly as that might sound. So, here's to next year's apple pie!

    ReplyDelete